Friday, January 8, 2016

My 1st. Speech at Toast Masters "The Ice Breaker" And Another Short Story



Here is my first Speech with Toast Masters.

I practiced this without any emotions but when I gave It the emotions were almost too much for me.
I also had the sniffles and a cold.

I was going over in the time I was allowed so a little of this speech was cut.

Soon after I was asked to move out from my sister's home as her son was coming home from the service Army Boot Camp. He was released because his knees started to give out during basic training.

And with Him would be coming his girlfriend and son. My sister's only Grandchild and her only child. Yes, they took presidency over her brother. And that is well and good and to be expected.


So I was living out of my van again and then in my cousin's Camper. Were I still am today as I write this.

So yes "Life It Happens". It happens to us all and continually. But you're, Never truly alone unless you choose to be.

The Ice Breaker is an Introductory Speech to the other club members and it is done to introduce and tell a little bit about yourself.

So after the loss of a place to work out of and from. That allow me to stretch and grow a little bit.  I again had to let all the things I started that year go.

Again I was almost ready to quit!

Folks life If you let it It will beat you near to death. But only if you let It. Without being Grounded in my re-found Faith! I would have Quit and gone back to the Bar-life.

Which is no life at all especially when you are broke all the time. I thank GOD I haven't given up or in.

He has Blessed me Over and Over and I disregarded and denied It for years and years after I was asked to leave my first Church; at the age of 13.

I want to be as successful as I can possibly be so I can bless my children and grandchildren. As My elders did for me when I was growing up.

But I have had many set backs and I don't want to bore you to tears with them all.

I just want you to Understand and Know that I too know hardship and the feelings of not wanting to continue on your journey.

Yes, I have even contemplated and attempted suicide about three times. But I found GOD again or rather I should say HE found me again. As I was walking home in the snow from the Hospital one winters night.

My Daughter was again having trouble with her Type One Diabetes and she called me wanting to me to come and see her before they took her up to the Children's Hospital in Chicago.

Dad's she sobbed, I need you I want to see you. At the time, all my friends were out of town for a pool tournament.

I had no money for a taxi or any one to call. Nor even minutes left on my phone to call anyone. I lived Five miles away and told her as I always did. That I would try. Which she would often Know meant I wouldn't or I couldn't.

So I knew in my heart this that she believed. For I believed it of myself. It was serious or it would be If she didn't get to see her Daddy before going again to Chicago.

The Bridge to get to the Hospital was out which meant an extra two-mile hike on foot. Which I was sure I wouldn't be able to do.

So I went towards the construction site to see If I could make it across. There was one single I-beam in place that spanned the gap across the river.

I thought I could do it. I have done this many times before my Last back injury. So I proceeded. It was snow covered. The I-beam was about six maybe eight inches wide.

As I started across I slipped. Just as I got over the middle of the river. Chest first I smacked onto the beam. Which jarred me pretty good. Good enough that it knocked the wind out of me. 

It was not fully dark yet and there was no walking traffic and the road was blocked off about an eighth of a mile back,  The water had ice covering it.

But the river has a steady flow or current to it. I knew the water was freezing because of the ice covering. I also knew if I fell and landed upon it I would fall through and be sucked under into the current of it.

About a quarter mile back away from the view of anyone passing by. So If I could have yelled no one would have heard for the road noise.

 I could not yell nor get up as the pain would not allow me to right myself. I was a good 45 feet from the other side.

I haven't prayed to GOD since the Divorce became final and that was about eight years ago at the time.

I was bigger, heavier, and less mobile then. Then I am in this Video. So you can image how much of me was hanging over the beam.

That was strung across like a Hot dog on a roasting stick dangled over a campfire. Yet not a fire was I over but the icy waters of the river below.

If I fell I would have never made it out of the water in time. If the ice broke which I know it would have. Because I was a good 405lbs. and it was a good ten feet that I would have fallen from.

So to make this story short. I prayed for what seemed like a good 30 minutes. I couldn't raise my head up all the way now, as I was getting extremely stiff and sore.

I never saw the man on the other side of the beam. I didn't see his full frame just a shadow an outline. After seeing it I somehow crawled the 40-45 feet or so. And I had made it to solid ground.

After I righted myself and look around I couldn't find any trace of what I thought was a man's figure. nothing!

No foot prints in the snow. No voice did I hear, no nothing. Hmm. I must have been hallucinating I thought.

Needless to say I made it to the Hospital just a few moments before my daughter was put into the ambulance and taken to the Children's Hospital with her Mother. All that for a five  maybe seven minute visit.

I made the five-mile walk through the snow down busy side roads with no working street lights or sidewalks. And I made it in record time. Even with all that had transpired on the way there.

The slipping, the falling, the crawling, and praying. I never gave it a second thought! In the video above I mention how Hard Headed I am, but I didn't realize how Hardened my heart became over those past eight years since my divorce.

I have never shared this story with anyone till tonight. After my daughter and ex-wife left. I was even more disgruntled than I was before I had received my daughters cry for attention that night.
I turned and started back home. Five miles as the crow flies give or take a 1/2 mile or so.

But just a quarter of a mile from the hospital. I saw my buddy drive right past me and he never turned around. I knew he had to have seen me as I saw right into his eyes.

It was now about nine, nine thirty at night. Maybe a little later. I can't be sure. So as I turned to make my way back to his house.

I became frozen in my tracks on the freshly fallen snow. I was made to notice That there were no foot prints in the snow ahead of me before I turned.

The ground was freshly covered with new fallen snow a blanket of white as far as one could see. But when I turned and Looked back upon my footprints in the snow.

It was like a path lit it up. As straight as could be and lit up by the Moon light. Next to my footprints was a set of foot prints to the left of mine. And headed in the same direction as mine.

Nobody but me all the way from the Hospital to where I saw my buddy drive right by me.

I saw his eyes look straight into mine and he drove right past me. But when I saw the footprints in the snow side by side. I forgot about going to his house just three, four blocks away to get a ride home.

But just now I remember, looking at those footprints and where I had stopped.  And I remembered that they had stopped were I had stopped.

But I never saw HIM.

So I was still thinking all those pills that I took before I received my daughter's call that night.  That it was them that were to blame. I was on Oxycontin for a long time and I saved about eighty pills as I knew I could sell them when I needed extra money. And I could do so easily at any bar in town.

I remembered that I took those Pills right before my daughter had called that night.
See I was already broken to the point of no return. But I cried unto the Lord to let me make it! To see my daughter one last Time. It was my dying wish.

I never saw or heard Him. Nor have I ever since. But those footsteps in the snow continued all the way back to the I-beam where I had fallen.

Now I had on Gym shoes that night which left a detailed imprint in the snow, a very distinct imprint that I could easily distinguish as mine.

I made it across that I-beam easily the second time that night. I am not quite sure how I did though.
So as I turned and looked back at the snow covered Beam. And there I saw was a set of prints upon it.
But they were not mine. They had no detail pattern. But what look to be a bare bottom shoe or sandal to me.

As I stood there for quite some time looking at those prints I stared at them dumb founded and frozen like a deer in the head lights until the snow covered the beam and left no trace.

Until the falling snow erased the prints. I could see plainly on the other side of the river the two sets on the one side. And only the one set across the I beam. and none before me anymore.

When I turned to head the rest of the way home. I thought to myself the drugs allowed me do and see all that I did that night!

But as I got home and climb the twenty some odd steps up to my apartment. The door to it was cracked open slightly! Great! I thought! Now I have been robbed too.

What else can happen to me? So I slowly opened It. Yet nothing was missing or out of place that I could see and when I enter and looked about nothing was broken. Ah, I must not have shut It all the way!

I was stiff and just a little sore. I sat down and started running all the events over and over in my mind. I went Into the room where I had taken about eighty Oxycontin pills ranging in strength from twenty to 120 mg.

I sat down and snuggled back into the couch and said to myself in my mind. I must have been to big for them. But that should have been enough to kill a horse.

As I finished that thought. The pill bottle rolled out from the side of the cushion full of pills and the cap still on it.

I Straight away picked them up marched into the bathroom and poured them down the toilet and flushed it. I went back to the couch got on my knees and gave my obedience back to my Saviour.

And I will do my damnedest to never lose HIM again. I still have a heavy and stony heart at Times. But these last three years It has begun to soften a great deal.

I am in need of a Miracle still for I am at disease and afflicted physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I am working towards my healing and towards a self-empowering Income stream. I say self.  But I mean with my LORD and Savior Jesus Christ.

For I know now that HE has Never Left me, nor has He Ever Forsaking me. Even when I did HIM.
When I called on HIM that Night! I did take those Pills. I know I did.

But yet He answered my Prayer anyhow. And the only proof I have is a memory of One crazy Night and a memory of what I thought was a drug induced high.

I am no longer bound to this world as I once was. I am again free from It. As I was from my Baptismal day. I am back where I belong now. And None can Pluck me from His hands ever again. Amen.


  Somebody Come and Play Today! Earn as You Learn, Grow as You Go!


The Man Inside the Man
from
Sinbad the Sailor Man
A
JMK's Production

 

Share this page, If you liked It Pass it on, If you loved It Follow Me!

   

TTFN
CYA Later Taters!
Thanks for Stopping by.

Donnie/ Sinbad the Sailor Man

No comments:

Post a Comment